Anniversary
 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hope I'm not Destructive This Year!

Hurricane Nicole in 1998.

So, I posted the 2010 Hurricane Name List earlier, and then started wondering if there had ever been a Hurricane Nicole. There was a Hurricane Nicole in 1998, but I had never heard of it. Believe me, I think I would have remembered a hurricane named after me - My mom and I watched The Weather Channel all the time. :) Well, turns out this one was near the Azores and didn't cause much, if any damage, (Phew!)  so more than likely, it would've just been a small news story.  Here's the first paragraph on my 1998 hurricane.

Hurricane Nicole was the fourteenth named storm and tenth hurricane of the 1998 Atlantic hurricane season. Nicole was the final storm of the season, and a very late-forming tropical cyclone. Nicole developed from a frontal low south of the Azores on November 24, and as it moved west-southwest, it attained an initial peak of 70 mph winds. An approaching upper-level trough brought hostile wind shear over Nicole, which weakened it to a tropical depression. Nicole entered an area of lighter vertical wind shear after the trough's passage, and re-strengthened, reaching its peak intensity of 85 mph as a hurricane on December 1, as an approaching cold front brought Nicole to the northeast. It then rapidly weakened over the cool waters of the North Atlantic. Nicole is the most intense hurricane December hurricane, and tied for the second strongest December hurricane.

Nicole caused no damage or deaths.
It's funny to read that with my name in it. :) I got the info from this site.
I was also a Subtropical Storm in 2004, and it was one of the wettest storms in the Bermudas. But according to Wikipedia, not a whole lot came from it.
 
And there's your weather lesson for the day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment